If you are looking for a rewarding and lucrative career in academia, you might be interested in knowing which academic jobs pay the best. According to the latest data from the Australian Taxation Office, the highest paid academic jobs in Australia are:
Professor of Medicine: $282,212
Professors of medicine are experts in their fields of medical research and education. They teach medical students, supervise postgraduate researchers, conduct clinical trials, publish papers, and provide leadership in their departments and faculties.
Professor of Engineering: $216,388
Professors of engineering are leaders in their disciplines of engineering research and education. They teach engineering students, supervise postgraduate researchers, conduct applied research, publish papers, and collaborate with industry partners.
Professor of Law: $213,844
Professors of law are authorities in their areas of legal research and education. They teach law students, supervise postgraduate researchers, conduct theoretical and empirical research, publish papers, and provide consultancy services.
Professor of Business: $208,788
Professors of business are experts in their fields of business research and education. They teach business students, supervise postgraduate researchers, conduct quantitative and qualitative research, publish papers, and engage with stakeholders.
Professor of Education: $201,688
Professors of education are specialists in their domains of educational research and education. They teach education students, supervise postgraduate researchers, conduct pedagogical and policy research, publish papers, and contribute to curriculum development.
These are the average taxable incomes for full-time professors in these fields based on tax returns from over 14 million Australians over the 2018-19 period. However, these figures may vary depending on the institution, location, experience, qualifications, and market demand.
How to become a professor in Australia?
- - Complete an undergraduate degree in your chosen field of study
- - Complete an honours year or a master’s degree with a research component
- - Complete a PhD degree with original and significant research
- - Apply for academic positions as a lecturer or a postdoctoral fellow
- - Gain teaching experience and publish your research in reputable journals
- - Apply for academic promotions as a senior lecturer, associate professor, and finally professor
The competition for academic jobs is fierce, and the expectations are high. You need to demonstrate excellence in research, teaching, and service to your academic community. You also need to secure external funding for your research projects and collaborate with other researchers nationally and internationally.
What are the benefits of working as a professor in Australia?
- - You can pursue your intellectual curiosity and passion for your field of study
- - You can contribute to the advancement of knowledge and society through your research
- - You can inspire and mentor the next generation of scholars and professionals through your teaching
- - You can enjoy academic freedom and autonomy in your work
- - You can have flexible working hours and conditions
- - You can earn a high salary and enjoy generous superannuation and leave entitlements
Of course, working as a professor in Australia also comes with some challenges and pressures. Some of the challenges of working as a professor in Australia are:
- - You have to balance multiple roles and responsibilities as a researcher, teacher, supervisor, administrator, reviewer, consultant, etc.
- - You have to cope with high workloads and deadlines
- - You have to deal with performance reviews and evaluations
- - You have to face increasing competition for funding and publications
- - You have to adapt to changing policies and regulations
If you are interested in pursuing a career as a professor in Australia, you need to be prepared for these challenges and opportunities. You also need to be passionate about your field of study and committed to excellence in research and teaching.
If you want to learn more about the highest paying academic jobs in Australia or other career options in higher education, you can visit our website or contact us for more information.